Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Conversation with Insurance Agent


Long-time back I got call from XYZ Insurance agent and the conversion was like this.
Agent :- Sir we have very good Insurance plan with guaranteed return.
Me :- How much? 
Agent :- 5.5% + life cover worth of 20 times of Premium.
Me :- But cover is very less. I have another Idea. I will take term insurance which will provide me 10 times cover than your policy and remaining amount I will invest in PPF or Mutual Fund. So in this way I will get more cover and return.
Agent :- But sir, PPF returns are not tax free at the time of withdrawn after maturity.
Me :- Are you serious, as per my knowledge PPF returns are tax free.
Agent :- From where you got this information. You should be educated properly on financially matters. People like you spreading wrong information about financial product.
Me :- Sorry Sir, thanks for opening my eyes. I will try to educate myself correctly.
When I had discussion with my colleagues about this conversation, all were laughing like anything.
But why I provoked this conversation?
What I wanted to see whether the agent will be interested in selling the term Insurance or not.
He could have responded like “Ok, I will provide you the term insurance and invest remaining money in PPF or Mutual Fund or anything else which you find good for you”.
Here I am not accusing Insurance agent but requesting to my friends to learn why our agent selling you particular policy. You can start with the following questions:-
1. Do I really need this product?
2. Who is the real beneficiary from the product? 
3. What actual benefit I am going to get from this product?
Ask as many as questions you can.
Last but not least try to understand the product before purchasing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment